View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks Tanguy, been trying to get on one of these dives for several years. It just never timed out right. We've been taking advantage of some of the low cruise rates to Nassau, less costly than you can fly, then add in hotel, food, etc. ($150. TO $250. for the weekend in the last year). Great deals and if you plan ahead you can do some amazing diving off New Providence. Still need to work up my write up on Action Jackson and scooter free diving the Lost Blue Hole. Interesting story and images, coming soon. NCL and Carnival allow enough time in Nassau to be able to make the shark dive (barely in the case of NCL but if you book through them they hold the ship if you're late).

He runs the shark dive daily. I would not do one of these sort of dives with others, at least not lightly. People have been nipped or worse over time. There are a lot of things to do and not do during the feeding portion. Keeping your hands close to and in front of your body is key, at all times. Never reach out for any reason as the two sharks coming up behind you my take a hand with them. They have a no tolerance rule, reach out to try to touch a shark and your dive is over, with luck with all the parts in place you started with. Shooting, clearing masks, taking regulators out, etc. become more tricky. If a shark hits you and knocks you over, there is a whole protocol for reacting. Basically you stay there until one of the chain mail covered support divers picks you up. Sharks routinely pass inches or less away from you front and rear, so if they blunder into you no big surprise. They even can generate some current swimming around the bait box. Exiting if the feed is still underway in the arena, need to go out and away from the area and not overswim the feed, taking your fins off at the dive platform without booties and avoiding having bar feet invite a nip, lots of stuff. Much likely learned in the school of hard knocks. There is still risk but they seem to manage things pretty well. No free diving is allowed, SCUBA only, for good reason I guess. Great photo op though! More at: http://www.stuartcove.com/DiveBahama...id=2&pageId=57

If you choose to fly over there they have a ton of walls spots starting at around 35 to 40 ft. and wrecks in real clear water. The Lost Blue Hole is a great dive but is about 8 miles off the island to the east. Would need to go through Bahama divers or Action for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykite View Post
Waow Rick that's pretty impressive!
Can you reach Stuart Cove with a dive charter? If so, do you have any recommendation?

Thanks
Tanguy

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi