View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

There are your aerial photos AJ. The scale isn't so great, it is hard to make out a lot of detail in them. You will need to mark the finish well, I suspect Kent has already talked to you about that given the apparent lack of real obvious landmarks for people unfamiliar with the area.

The shoreline there has lots of hotels and likely college students too currently. Your idea of staying at least 350 ft. offshore in this area and further off Patrick Air Force Base makes good sense based on the aerials. Patrick AFB is about ten miles south of the start.

It looks like the wind may be a bit up and down from the NORTH currently forecast (may change again!) at the start due to land wind shadow from the point north of the inlet (Cape Canaveral). I would expect gusts and lulls during launching and space out and manage your kites accordingly to try to avoid tangles, and get offshore pronto into cleaner air.

Boschoss made a lot of points worth considering and acting upon in his posts.

I know you are doing complete planning and execution for this Kitetricity event including safety planning and will be briefing participants thoroughly on things to do, not do and watch out for. I hope to make it up but may not be able to do so. Either way, have fun and be safe. By the way, what are you calling your distance race anyway?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-18-2009 at 10:30 PM.