View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 12:48 PM

FROM ANDY HURDMAN:

I started the race on a 13 Yarga, totally over-powered. Right at the start of the race, when I was rounding the Jupiter pier, my legs already started to wonder what was going on. About quarter mile into the race, I would work up my speed and then catch and edge and crash. On the second fall, my camel pack rounded its way to the front of my body and I tried in vain to put it back on my back. After a few tries, I decided to get rid of the pack all together and remembered to grab my phone out before I threw it. Now I had the phone in my hand, I held it on the bar while I rode for about one mile, then, again, I caught an edge and eat-it dropping the phone and losing my board. Once I got my board back, I had to get my phone which was floating in the waterproof bag. I tack up wind, and find the phone, and try to grab it, but miss. On the second try I miss again, now I’m really pissed off! I finally grab it on the third try and put in my pocket; 2 miles later, when I check, the phone is not there.

I continue riding, about 25 miles into the race, and my back foot strap comes loose. Now I’m balancing on one foot for about a half a mile, thinking there is no way I can finish the race. Then, just when I am about to quit I see people on the beach filming. I try my luck and ride in thinking I may know them, sure enough it’s Thomas from Best Kiteboarding filming in front of his house. I start screaming that I need a replacement board, Thomas finally understands what I’m screaming and runs home and gets the same board I was riding and I was off.

Still in 3rd place, about one mile behind Damien and Billy, I ride the inside and go as fast as I can to make up time.

Now I’m approaching the Deerfield pier and passing Damian then I start to run into another problem, my eyes are so crusted with salt I started losing my eyesight. While riding I’m trying to get the salt out of my eyes. No matter what I do it keeps getting worse. At this point, I’m really getting nervous and I start looking for an open beach area to land my kite and quit. But, since I was having eye problems, I could not see well enough to locate a spot, so, I accidentally catch an edge and crash right on my face. Luckily, the crash cleared the salt layer off my eyes, and I could see again.

Now, back in the race, I had to ride hard to try and catch Damian again. For the last 10 miles we were neck-and-neck. I would take the lead, then crash, he would pass, I would catch up…then he would crash, I would take the lead and crash.

Ultimately, I was able to sneak up behind him in the inside, on a stretch of beach where there were no life guards, and pick up speed for the win! My back leg is still sore days later and my phone is gone, I’m glad I didn’t put 50$ with it.