View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Everyone should just ride at the grassflat about a quarter mile off the beach. Like cabdriver, I head out there and dont come back to the beach until its time to come in. Especially on a weekend. On weekends the spot is packed with beachgoers having cookouts, kids, dogs ect. It really not fair for us to take over their beach and especially not fair to put them in danger. And all the kite traffic plus extreme shallow or dry low tides plus onshore wind (often gusty from the west) to a narrow beach with rocks and cars and a busy highway behind it makes me nervous kiting on the inside. And I know what I'm doing. If all that doesn't make others nervous they likely dont know what they're doing. Or don't care about prudence and are only concerned with trying to impress their friends on the beach.

Anyway my point is GO OUT TO THE SHALLOW GRASSFLAT. Its so much nicer out there. No stress of downwind cars and families, room to ride, flat water for practicing tricks. If you can't get upwind, than you shouldn't be riding this spot anyway.

In defense of Franscisco, I've seen him helping out, saving novices from getting into messes more than a few times. About 6 yrs ago when I was learning, he ran to the water to help me land my kite as the weather was quickly picking up at hobie. And I've never been a customer for him. In fact the only thing I have ever bought from him was a helmet. I'm not saying Hobie is a good place to teach, I just think that the guy gets a bad rap in this forum.

Yes there are plenty of people coming down from broward and palm beach when the wind is west. There are many people that I dont usually see at the other miami spots. Everyone should go out of their way to help eachother, especially at this spot - if you see someone who looks like they're about to make a mistake straighten them out.