View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Spoke with one of the riders today on the downwinder with the kite issue.

It sounds to me like it was a situation with an out of control kite. The rider had lost control of the kite and got wrapped in the lines somehow which sent the kite spinning out of control on a course toward the beach. Once at the beach, he just wanted the tangled kite off of him. Luckily, one of the lifeguard responded appropiately and cut the lines. I am sure Chad had something to do with prep. in this situation. Thanks Chad for additional lifeguard training on how to handle problems out there.

It doesn't sound to me like this was a blatant act of kiting inside the swim zones, but a actual rescue situation with a kiter in trouble. Good job to all to prevent any kind of injury.

With the kiter in question, a look should be done on going out in conditions beyond your ability. It seems that the other riders questioned your ability to be out there. With that said they can keep an eye on you but only do so much. Feel lucky that this happened within the vicinity of trained lifeguards and could cut you free. You may have not been so lucky and would have taken some time to disolve the situation.

Keep in mind, the only person that truly knows what happened was the person tangled. Maybe he can speak up.

I do see alot of people that get into the Gulf on some of the heavier days and are not quite ready. The best form of kiting safety is prevention and knowing your limits.

Great reminder to all about swim zones and kiting safely. A great use of this forum.