View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM

I live in Lauderdale and have had so many family and friends calling me today hoping that it wasn't me or one of my sons in that video. I was on the beach about 1/2mile south when this squall hit. I was shocked at how fast it hit us...watched it on radar coming in (they said band was moving toward us at 37mph....I am sure the squall was in the 50's)) and walked down to beach to experience it firsthand (I live on beach). It was coming in faster than I bet ANYONE realized...
Our sport is somewhat controversial and when this happens and the news media gets hold of it.....well it becomes a big deal. My prayers and thoughts to Kevin and his family. We have all done some stupid stuff and got lucky without learning a hard lesson like Kevin did. I almost lost my youngest son in a winter squall incident when we first started kiting 4 years ago...I'll never forget and thank God for our 400' of beach and that the wind wasn't as hard as what Kevin hit....a miracle that my sons kite hit a tree before he hit the building.
my prayers and support to Kevin and his family.....this is so tragic and I hope he will recover and kite again..He has a story to tell and I sure hope it will do our sport some good....Safety is so huge..
I am going to practice blowing out of my leash more....I would never want to not know what to do instantly...
Kevin...may fair winds forever blow your way!!