View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 03:18 PM

I was reading the Miami paper at breakfast. I see this guy on the front page and it kind of started to burn me up a bit. I'm in this industry and see lessons being taught in the wrong spots, crazy launches, etc. I'm thinking this guy just screwed me like all the other idiots messing up. He has taken a good portion of my business away and hurt the future potential of this sport…

Then I read the article. Sure he was out in poor conditions and probably missed his chance to ditch. Yep, he shouldn't have been out that day. I read on, and they talked about his face book page, where he went to school, and how much he enjoyed the sport. They mentioned that he had a Golden Retriever that he loved. This humanized the situation to me. It really made me think about the person. It’s pretty sad.

Not too long ago, I responded to thread on this forum about an accident that happened around Tampa. The guy was pretty bummed that I indicated that his accident was not “unavoidable” like he and others had suggested. I took a verbal lashing by the experience kiter of 2-3 years.

Nope, we don’t know it all, we are all learning despite having kitesurfed for any amount of time. Technology changes as quick as the weather so don’t be afraid to stand up and let people know when they are messing up. Let them know if there is a better way to do it. Like this forum, it’s all about disseminating information. Share your knowledge with people that need it, and take advice from those that can give it. While many may know their equipment and how to ride it like the back of their hand, it doesn’t mean that they know the weather conditions in your area or even their own. If you give some advice where it’s not wanted, you may take the tongue lashing, but if they needed it; their dog (and family) will certainly appreciate your efforts.

Before riding in a difficult area or in extreme conditions, take a second before you launch to ask yourself a few questions. Ask yourself what would happen if I hook and injure a spectator? How would I feel? What will happen to their family? What happens if I hurt myself? What will my family do? Sometimes just taking a brief minute is enough to help you make the right decision.

Super sorry to hear about all 3 accidents this week. Best wishes for those that can still recover and condolences to the family of the man that can not.

Kent