Thread: Ernesto
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 03:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresdawind??
guys relax!!! sorry to hear ernesto sucked but you still live in paradise and can look forward to a great windy season with nice beaches just 5 min. drive from home. You don't know how good you got it until you leave the island. Here you have to drive at least an hour to the nearest allowed lake, most lakes are banned for kiteing, and there is almost never wind, the water is freezing, no waves, when there is wind it is gusty as hell and launching landing not on some white sandy beach but right next to trees and rocks and mud. So I have been looking for other hobbies but can't stop wanting to kite surf. We might have to move countries again....

Be patient and enjoy your beautiful island in the mean time....wind is coming soon !!
c-ya
Excellent points. We all need to appreciate what we have wherever that might be. The summer sucks here most years if we accept that with the odd exception, we should be good.

I was talking to a long time rider out of Utah last month. He has been dealing with inland kiting most of his riding career with frequent business trips around the western USA. He was telling me that he favors snow kiteboarding more than water kiteboarding these days. That surprised me but then again, I have yet to try the snow version despite carting gear out to the mountains as early as 1999. I know some of the same factors you mentioned in the warmer months in the alpine lakes still apply in the winter. Still, there are some lower lying areas with less wind shadow that might work. I understand that they had a snow kiteboarding contest in Norway last year, with a turnout of 100's of riders. Winter has a lot to offer kiting. Have you looked into snow kiteboarding much yet?

Hang in there, Switzerland is an incredible country.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi