View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Lots of guys take dive charter boats at some time or another, most divers in fact. That is students to executives, unemployed, lots of guys. Why, because it's worth it. As a rule, dive charters cost a lot more than a trip to the Flats for a day. If you don't dive this may not sink in. If you do, perhaps it might.

I am talking more than safety here too. The quality of the wind when out of the west is cleaner, less gusty, the water clearer. It can be an incredible experience.

Before you discount the safety considerations totally at Hobie, you might think over that I saw one of those guys fly within 15 ft. of me before doing a $1000. plus damage to a car. He was OK, amazing. Another guy that was carted off to the hospital for a few days is a friend. Finally, the girl that was lofted there into timber pilings doing internal injury to kidneys, etc. screamed loud and long while bleeding profusely with the pain of it to the shock and dismay of those around her. ALL of these accidents and several other incidents happened in SW winds. Hobie can be a dangerous launch, believe it.

By the way, SSW is sideshore relative to the eastern part of Matheson. Still, it is not an ideal direction for this launch. Staying over shallow areas that you can walk in beyond the buoys would be a good idea if you decide to bother with Matheson.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi