View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM

If you are talking about having better lessons to ensure that new riders are safe and self-sufficient for their own benefit, then I don't see a huge problem. Not sure who is going to oversee the lesson process to make sure instructors do a good job relaying the information to the student though. PASA and IKO haven't done the best job of ensuring their certified instructors go on to practice some basic standards while giving lessons, imo. Some instructors are good/great, some are bad, regardless of their certification.

If you are pondering whether further certification will decrease the likelihood of bans in areas; in a nutshell - there isn't a certification that will guarantee future actions, regardless of knowledge or understanding taught (and supposedly instilled).
Most bans and restrictions (imo) are due to a lack of consideration and common sense among riders towards others in the water and on the beach. Some of these riders are seasoned and understand how many of us feel about certain actions (which have zero do to with self-rescue).
I find it hard to believe that people think riding at mach 2 next to kids or jumping people is kosher, especially when several people tell them otherwise.
Given a written certification exam, some would "answer no" to the behavior, then go out and "practice yes". The sheet of paper they earned by passing some cert. would be meaningless.
Certs don't inhibit behaviors. Laws (with consequences) do.

If kiters are serious about not losing access, I am of the opinion that basic rules need to be put in place in areas that are agreed upon with local law enforcement, and then enforced by them. Then, those with enforcement power can ticket/ban/(whatever) individuals for improper behavior, while not banning us all. Just the same as one would ticket a poor driver and not shut down the freeway.
Easier said that done, but more effective, imo.

(Scott Fears)

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 09-30-2009 at 09:59 AM.