View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum T.I. View Post
Now I REALLY tried to quit bagging on you guys already, I really did.
Dumb replies get more smashing. You guys really should be wearing helmets, all tht crashing is affecting your ability to think and respond with sensible answers...
No thanks on sharing the stroke B-obby, I don't like group sex...
Side shore again?
B-Rad, first it was side shore, then side on... Let's call it side-on-on and I might agree with ya.
Assuming I am a newbie, wouldn't a slider pointed DIRECTLY at the beach be ridden in an "onshore wind"? Seems to me that side shore winds would have turned the slider parallel to the beach and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I heard the "we need to be close to the beach in case we get hurt" arguement many times, and my answer is this: Helmet,vest, and rigging your safety properly greatly reduces your chance of injury. Take the distance traveled from any kitemare or broken bridle scenario and apply it to the day in question. Thank goodness for those palm trees, or you would be in the parking lot.
And BTW, I'm not the "kite police", this is our first real try at self regulation.
Kent- Do you have those suits in Magnum-size? Next time, I'll just roll tape...
(You can hate me if you want for slamming you, but I actually did you ALL a big favor and saved you from REAL embarrasment. At least I have the sack to speak up about it....
Rick-
Normal kiting is 300' (100m)from shore, right?
onshore/ high winds add 200'
extreme riding (loops,sliders, etc) add 100
rigged suicide add 100
Thats 700' on any given sunday(onshore,windy)... probably about the distance to the_____.
side/side off winds could be much closer of course.
Later

I've got three things to say to that...

1st of all, as for as the direction of the wind that day...you're right, the rail was pointed directly at the shoreline...and it was set up slightly downwind...(that means as you approach it, you bear off the wind a bit) It was pretty close to across the wind...which would point it directly at the shore...also we were making tacks to the back of Bobby's sailboat from the launch...so call that wind direction whatever you want but that's the direction of the day...

2nd, this isn't our "first real try at self regulation" we have been doing that down here since 1999...it might be YOUR first real try at self regulation...and a weak one at that...

3rd...I wouldn't be talking so much about having sac while you are still speaking anonymously...