View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 09:41 AM
tomstock

Yeah... not sure this is what you are looking for but since Chris brought it up:

The sky cleared and the wind died... then it changed directions and went from 12-16 side on to dead onshore at 30-40 mph (going from memory here may not be accurate). I was on an 18M kite and was underpowered for the 45 minutes before that gust.... This was also when i was less experienced and less aware of the signs of wind about to change direction.

I really would have been just fine if my quick release had worked. Instead, while pulling it with both hands as hard as I could, I got dragged 75 yards at top speed just skipping across the water. I was going to crash my kite but there were people standing on the beach and in the water. When I hit the beach I got lofted 6ft in the air and traveled about 30 feet between trees and signs, then hitting at full speed, falling on my side and my bar hit the ground and looped the kite. When it looped it shot me across a 2 lane road on my stomach, 6ft behind a passing car. As the kite stalled for a second after the loop I somehow managed to unhook. Actually i though was going to die and used all of my strength to get unhooked. I slid to a stop right at the treeline. This seemed like one of those chain of events that just keeps getting worse and worse... oh crap.. OH CRAP... OHHHHHH CRAAAAAAP..... OMG IM GONNA DIE.... OH MY GOD NOW I *AM* GONNA DIE... OH NO NOW I'M REALLY REALLY GONNA DIE HERE IT COMES...pause..... holy crap I'm ALIVE!!!!!!

While my awareness is partially to blame, my real blame is for the best quick release I was using. It came rigged backwards from the factory and I used it that way unknowingly. It has a design flaw which prevents it from releasing if not rigged just right. The thing is it will work under load, but not under a lot of load so you don't know until you REALLY need it. Just a month ago i saw someone with the same quick release... and it was also rigged backwards from the factory in what I call "death" mode. I fixed it and told them to get rid of it asap.

I hope nobody goes through that experience. I consider myself lucky to be alive.

The only damage was to two booties (my feet went through them when I landed, one ended up around my calf), some skin from road rash, and my harness was really chewed up from the road. Oh, and my pride.

One thing I learned... if the release fails, crash the kite immediately and unhook.