View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 AM

Don't get me wrong here. I am not suggesting that the new foil kites are the answer for getting on the podium at a course race, not the case.

I just wanted to shine some light on the comments being made about RAMs as a group. Folks are referring to SA (silver arrow) here and the new kites are not silver arrows. That is a type of fabric that you had the option of having a Speed 2 made out of. The Kite that Jay rode was a Speed 3 deluxe. These are two completely different kites. That is what I was trying to point out.

As for the original post asking who's the leading light wind category? I don't think he was referring to course racing. The foils obviously have not won the course races, but for your average rider wanting to spend a Saturday cruising the beach, throwing a few jumps, riding some small waves, while not having to constantly worry about staying upwind, it is not fair to say "the speed is not in the ball game".

I did this for several summers on my Contra 17, and now I do it on the foils. The Contra worked great, I had a blast on it, I just hated to pump that monster up on a summer day.

Well technically, your statement is correct the speed is not in the ball game ("the speed" is what the speed 1 was referred to) But the speed 2 and speed 3 are in the ball game big time, given that the game is not course racing, but just having fun in the sun ridding on a very light wind day.

Kent, I value your opinion and respect your experience in the sport, and wanted to add some missing information to the thread.