Thread: up North...
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardcanada
haha I thought I would try here first to see if there was any response - thank you greatly for your response as well.

Safety is a large priority for myself as well. I have the helmet for snowboarding, but I will be looking into other protection as well.

For the second question I asked, to add on, can you easily plan to return to where you launched from?

Finding quality instructions is my main objective at this point.

Once again, thank you for the response.

I was actually planning on coming down to Florida, so maybe some good kitesurfing lessons down there would be in the agenda as well. I am sure if I head down, I will be on here asking for some information.

Thanks.

Dominic
As I understand, staying upwind requires a little technique just as it does on water. If you stay upwind and if you ride on a beam reach you should be able to kite back to where you started from. I have heard the time required to learn how to stay upwind can be faster on snow than on water. Kite power may also factor into this as a function of kite size, wind speed, surface conditions and rider experience. Unlike in the water, you can walk back unless you need snowshoes of course. If conditions are marginal you may have to contemplate some one way, downwind runs. Otherwise you should be able to return to your starting area.

Open cell foils are still fairly popular for snow kiting and are far less common on water. Flat kites offer lots of advantages on water and I suspect will be fairly popular on snow as well. Flat kites help to manage reasonable gusty conditions better. Land based wind shadow and uneven winds are common factors that flat kites should ease the issues with.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi