View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
I know the current beneath the inlet bridge can get pretty intense. Do you have any precautions to pass along regarding riding near the channel, aside from avoiding boat traffic?

Delray really isn't that far away from Lake Worth, at least once you are on A1A. The drive is scenic and goes fast.
As for the current "in" the inlet, this curent can run from between 6-8 knots. It is one of the most dangerous inlets on the east coast. Boat traffic is definatly an issue to be aware of in lite to moderate wind. But usually in heavy wind the boat traffic is light (since most boaters know of the dangers with this inlet and the ajecent area to the south infront of the south jetty, Known as the "Grave yard" this area is a shoal where sand piles up and creates a stand up wave. Bad for boating but GR8 for boosting

As for kiting in the "Narrow" inlet. I've done it in perfect conditions but I would'nt suggest it to anyone. I've spent the last 22 years living in this area. Between boating and surfing the inlet and I believe I have a good read on the waters. BUT THINGS DO HAPPEN and I've seen it first hand.

So if you choose to kite in the inlet it would be best to kite there on an outgoing tide, that way if there were a problem you'd be washed out to sea. Rather then ripped in the inlet @ 6-8 knots only to encounter the fixed bridge (A1A) that crosses over the inlet.

As for Rick pointing out the Scenic drive along A1A from Lake Worth to Delray. That it definalty is "Scenic" and well worth the trip if you've never done it before.