View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thing is like recent steps undertaken in OBX it seems to impact more than kiteboarders. That may be a resource we can call upon in building resistance to the restrictions as currently proposed. There aren't that many kiteboarders in Sarasota County. Still reading through the documents but I suspect there are quite a few more impacted parties. For instance, with the "redefinition" of private beaches as public to help make regulation and enforcement as simple as possible, what are folks that invested very substantial money in beach front property being forced to give up after the fact? They are going after parasailing and powered paragliders, who else is impacted by this? That is an important list to assemble. Get all theses folks with something to lose alerted and pulling together as much as feasible to help out the situation.

I hope that kiting interests, as few as our numbers are in Sarasota County, combine efforts to spearhead resistance and steps to work out a more acceptable situation. A unified, effective fighting front is what is needed. I hope the shops in Sarasota, Island Style, Kiteboarding Sarasota and Waterman Kites and any other schools throw their combined efforts against this serious problem. The county has moved out at speed for sometime on this from appearances. We now need to play catchup as best we can. There is the public hearing on June 26 but waiting until then to act and respond is likely a mistake. Ideally we should come to the meeting in strength, with counter proposals, legal input if we can find it in hand, with the support and presence of other impacted parties to make the best pitch for negotiation of viable alternatives that we can.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi