View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Another email from Laurel:

"Hi again, another thought. I was told this morning at 8 o'clock by the Commissioners' Secretary Jody that because a public hearing has already been set to review the proposed changes (even though they are not in their final stage), the Commissioners are not allowed to discuss publicly or privately the issue at hand. The sunshine law prohibits discussion prior to the public hearing as this and all discourse is considered testimony. That is why I was referred to staff members. Staff members, working by the seat of their pants to bring this together, perusing the internet found god awful evidence of the mayhem and danger that surrounds kiteboarding in other places. NOT HERE OF COURSE.

As most of the Commissioners have not weighed in on this nor had the facts or final wording presented to them. Staff members will have the most clout with shaping the opinions of the Commissioners as the Commissioners rely upon them to advise them. I believe that it is crucial to our success that we NOT muddy the water by asking for their views on group of Kiteboarders can help by e-mailing and telephoning the Commissioners. For now, I am hopeful that you can spread the information about our progress and direct questions to me for answers that haven't yet been provided. Like why and how did the initial wording look so bad. Let's not dwell on that. If I don't know I will do my best to find out through the inroads that are established.

As you may have gleaned, I am guardedly optimistic, if not joyful at the progress that has been made. PLEASE, let's get everyone together and exchange ideas and establish ourselves more fully with County Staff. You are the Sarasota Kiteboarders' Coalition.

Sincerely, Laurel"

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi