View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldo
Very interesting post! :thumb:

First photo looks similar to Guincho, in Portugal, where I've experienced very dirty wind
I would really like to checkout Portugal, has an incredible coastline. Looking at conditions, I believe you can have some major rotor at Guincho as you say.

That is the beach at Guincho, it is less than 2.5 miles (about 4 km) from that point of land, Cabo de Rocha. Cabo seems to rise a good distance above the water. The area is known for a strong wind, the Nortada. I understand it comes out of the N-NW augmented by thermals from the arid hot shore areas rising to around 25 kts. (perhaps as high as 40 kts.?, not sure about this).

The photo is alinged more or less to the NW. If you have a honking strong, likely already gusty wind rotoring and refracting around this high point of land, you can expect some major gusts and lulls. I understand it is a popular spot with windsurfers. They can perhaps deal a bit easier with rotor, gliding through the lulls and sheeting out (or being catapulted!) in the gusts. Kiters either manage or they don't. Sounds like an experts spot with strong local experience when the wind is on and from the N-NW, then add waves! I imagine with strong winds, the "some rotor" zone can be pretty wide with shifting winds.

A closer look at Cabo de Rocha, that is a big chunk of rock!

The thing with rotor like rapids over rocks, the faster the flow and higher the obstructions, the more violent and longer the area of turbulence. Some kiters may not know it but they are setting up in some Class 4 (aerial) rapids by analogy.

We frequently say this accident or fatality happened due to excessively gusty wind. In some of these cases the excessively gusty wind has been caused or increased by rotor. Riders should routinely scope this out when evaluating the launch of the day.

Who else has rotor at their spot, when, why and how do they deal with it? Any interesting stories come to mind?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi