View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoNP View Post
I'll be in Florida 8/27/2008-9/02/2008 hoping to ride in Lauderdale by the Sea area; however, I just found my hotel has no internet...

Anyone in the area want to clue me in on the forecasts for my stay? Rick?

Thanks.
Nick
Hello Nick,

Typical wind that time of year is light to no wind at all. This year has been different in some respects then again, I think it has been five weeks since I've had a kite up. Missed a few sessions in that time though.

We've had some unusual late/early season cold fronts, strong ones too in recent weeks. If one of these comes through while you are here with strong easterly winds you could be good to go. Regarding tropical activity, IF there is a system nearby that is generating easterly (N to E to S winds actually) AND there are few squalls or large clear holes between them, then again, you're good to go.

Sorry but it is too far off to say. Guys are getting excited about riding today. Here's what were looking at in terms of squalls currently:

Click - http://tinyurl.com/6hdm7l

You want to watchout for the more colorful stuff particularly the red cells. Although the green stuff can dangerously boost winds as well at times. That raft of squalls just passed over my location south of West Palm Beach. Doesn't look all that clear of squalls to me. btw, that northern red line of squalls was moving at 66 mph north or about a mile a minute. It could be on you within five to ten minutes of your seeing it, perhaps less. See a few spikes close to 40 mph on some of the wind stations up from wind in the low 20's. It could go a lot higher in some squalls, you never know.

Sorry to be so indefinite about the wx during your visit but that is about all I can say for now.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi