View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I received images of some of Jimmy Lewis' standup paddle surfboards ( http://jimmylewis.com/ ), that I wanted to pass along. He is currently working on a production line of standup boards in addition to the custom boards shown below and in the original article above.

Jimmy's son, Marlon posing with one of the family standup paddle surfboards.

The Jimmy Lewis production standup boards are 11'7" long X 26.5" wide and 4 3/4" thick. They are EPS (styrofoam) core with PVC sandwich construction and very light for the size and volume. Jimmy created the production standup board for someone who can already surf and wants a standup board that they can actually surf waves on well. Of course it can be used to just paddle around too. The retail price would be between $1000-$1100. So, it is a bit narrower and sporty than some of the boards out there working a compromise between glide characteristics and performance in the waves.

Randal Morikawa, a friend of Jimmy Lewis posing with another custom standup board. I understand that Randal although new to standup paddle surfing is moving out strongly already, these Hawaiian watermen.

Jimmy tells me that Maria and Andrea, the Brazilian Amazones are entering the Molokai Ocean Challenge with new Jimmy Lewis custom standup boards. I am debating kiting in the challenge, the scenery looks incredible.

The Challenge

Jimmy also sent along some great shots of a special custom standup board he made for Laird Hamilton. Laird has been putting in some distance standup paddle surfing, across the English Channel, to Catalina, etc.. This is not intended as a wave board but is designed for covering miles, a LOT of miles across the water with an exceptional glide.

At 16 ft. this ain't your sister's shortboard!

Excellent workmanship

This thing is even self-bailing!

I commented to Jimmy that this board looks like a (big) work of art. It would be a good candidate for the Smithsonian Transportation Museum.

That is a look at some more boards, hopefully more info is to come. Stay tuned and let us know how you are doing out there with standup paddle surfing.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi