View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Anchorage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobA
I saw a photo of a sailboat in your posting.

I am home on vacation from my vaction.... In a few days I fly back to Dominican Republic to get back on my sailboat. I took some lessons in Cabarete (8hours) and now have bought a Turbo Diesel 12M kite while home.

I think my stay in the DR is about over. I have to get moving south and east before the hurricanes kick up. Now that I have kiting gear, all my stops from here to venezuala will be based on having a nice beach to kite...or learn to kite.

This spot in PR, can I anchor there safely for a while (did you see many other boats stay for days or weeks). All my guide books are back on the boat....but maybe this would make a nice learning spot for me for a couple weeks.

I have a dinghy, but I am alone on my sailboat. Perhaps I can pay for a little more supervision.

Can't continue to shell out the cash for lessons though, it kills my 60 dollar a day budget!

-rob
Hello Rob,

The primarly riding areas at La Parguera are all offshore, generally in the lee of the mangrove islands that show up in the Sat. and panoramic images. There is navigable deeper water in the vicinity to anchor and close enough to dingy in to the lee of the island arc and rig up in the shallows.

Unfortunately without someone in the dingy in a position to power down and pick you up, it is a poor learning area in my opinion. You leave water shallow enough to stand in not too far downwind to the west. Then you are pretty much stuck drifting downwind unless you can ride back. This last part is rarely easy for new riders. You might be able to line someone up locally to help you out. The wind is pretty good there from what I experienced and have heard.

Good luck,

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi