Thread: Kite Size
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Kite Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesX5
Anyone have any recommendations on kite size. I am a newbie and would like to buy one kite that would hopefully cover me for most SW Florida conditions this Nov - May. Rider size 5'-9", 160 pds.

I am looking at the Best Waroo kites and was leaning towards a 14m.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I assume that you have already been through adequate pro instruction. If I am wrong in this please disregard the text below and click on the following link instead:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=2982

I am 30 lbs. heavier and will use a 14 m bow kite for lighter to moderate wind conditions. You might consider a 12 m for your light wind to moderate kite as with winter winds a 14 m as your primary kite is probably too big. Once the winter winds pass or during truly light conditions you may want something 14 m or larger.

There likely will be some frontal conditions between now and May in which you will be rigged too big even with a 12 m flat kite. Of course as a new rider you should avoid the more powerful winds anyway. I would try to use winds 18 kts. and below until you have developed your skills pretty thoroughly. After that you will want to consider a smaller flat kite.

Other input on this? There are lots of guys out there around 160 lbs. and on the west coast.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi