View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Jesse just put up this nice summary of the event:

"Windy, Windy, Windy….The words that described the biggest challenge to all of the determined competitors at the 1st stop in this 3 race series.

Twenty-seven competitors took to the water 10am last Sunday morning in front of Coconuts to take on an impressive 3-mile course which consisted of a 1 ½ mile leg with a 20mph tail wind that made it seem as if all riders had jet engines in their boards. The horn blew and a flurry of carbon and wood began churning the waters as the riders took off. The pack stayed extremely close for the first half but it became apparent that the same 20mph tail wind would soon start to pick off paddlers as they rounded the Red Bull buoy positioned at the Ft. Lauderdale Yacht Club.

Leading the pack for the men was Roray Kam, Packet Casey and Mike Gebhardt. Following close behind were Patrick Little, Thad Foote and Liquid’s own Jim Dasilva. It was an all out battle for positioning once these guys rounded the buoy and stared to take on Mother nature. “If you stopped paddling you just started to move backwards.” (Jim Dasilva) Some decided to take the wind on full force by paddling directly in the center of the canal, others strategically planned to paddle close to the seawall attempting to find some refuge. The lead pack was paddling so hard that you could visibly see the paddles bending in their hands. Packet having a strong lead decided to go down the wrong canal which cost him precious seconds with local Watermen Roray Kam and Mike Gebhardt very close behind. It was this mistake of course deception that allowed Roray Kam to take home the 1st place title with an impressive time of 34:36.

Of the twenty-seven paddlers six girls came out to show that this sport is completely unbiased. This was proven by local Amanda Wilson that beat out several guys by a landslide. While these girls were showing the boys how it was done I had the pleasure of sitting on my butt in one of the chase boats that was following Diane Scully. Nearing the end of the course Diane told us that earlier that morning she ran a 5K! Needless to say myself and the several other guys in the boat felt pretty little at that point. I’m glad everybody finished in strong form. I hope this means that you will be ready for the next race on May 17th.

This event could never have happened without all of our sponsors and all of you guys that competed. THANK YOU to everybody that helped us make this the first, but definitely not the last, Liquid Surf and Sail SUP race.

I have attached the poster for the next race at the Miami Yacht Club. You can also stay updated on all of our events by checking out our events page. Or just give me a ring at the shop 954-523-7778.

Check out all of the photos and an excellent write up by Rick Iossi here: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?p=40169

Big thank you to all of our sponsors: Hobie, Dunkelvolk, Tikibeach, Coconuts, Dakine, Ark, C4 boards, Werner paddles,

The Results:

Roray Kam

34:36

Packet Casey

34:40

Mike Gebhardt

35:36

Patrick Little

36:02

Thad Foote

36:18

Jim Dasilva

36:26

Jimmy Levine

36:32

Sean Collins

36:53

Trevor Usher

36:57

Ken Sullivan

37:10

Jake Portwood

37:31

Steven Bean

38:15

Andy Engle

38:54

Luke Goetz

39:17

Rick Deroxtra

39:25

Stewart Murray

40:32

Robert Davis

40:40

Amanda Wilson

42:10

Evan Bell

45:37

Bobby Little

45:47

Neil Hutchinson

46:07

Nicole Macias

51:35

JulianLucero

55:23

Blanca Granda

56:58

Bonnie Nabors

57:57

Laura Iossi

1:05:42

Diane Scully

1:08:11

Jesse Cors

Liquid Surf and Sail

2000 S. Federal Highway

Ft. Lauderdale, Fl 33316

Ph:954-523-7778

www.LiquidSurfandSail.com"

Still more photos to come, just have to finish the processing and put them up!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi