View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I am a newbie at foiling myself, taking time off from learning to heal other injuries so as not to make them worse learning to foil? I would pick "more ideal" conditions to train in in terms of wind range vs. kite size & direction, absence of waves or chop. In short make it easier for yourself to hopefully reduce the quantity and violence of wipeouts. Avoid areas with sandbars or other sudden shallows to strike or times of heavy seaweed. Pick a good learner foil, some are more forgiving of early skill development than others also the foils may be more cut-prone in some that others.

Regarding protective gear, a good helmet, impact vest make sense, perhaps gloves too. I bought some soccer shin guards to reduce shredding the skin over my shins when I was thrown over the edge of the board. I grew tired of slicing that area up. One very experienced foiler even started wearing Dyneema socks, to reduce the odds of foot lacerations on the foil. https://www.getfyf.com/products/fyf

Other suggestions out there? Also, tell me again why we foil because ... ? (just kidding)

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi