View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bone
Glad to see you survived it, Wolfie.

My own practice--I only accept launches from those I know and trust. Otherwise, I'd rather self-launch.
I had a "Kitescare" a few years ago when I accepted help from a non-kiter. He had just launched another kiter and I did not go through the pre-launch instructions I give to anyone I have help me launch for the first time. Anyway it was blowing 17-20kts and I was getting into position in the water out on the flats and evidently he thought I was ready to launch. The kite was up wind of the edge of the window. I had no control and the kite immediately flipped over, turned down wind and screamed across the power zone. I was not hooked in and since I was only going to get dragged through the water I hung on. The kite went through the power zone about 8 feet off the water. The only part of me touching the water were my feet. It was about a 100 yard ride until the kite got to the other edge of the wind window and I brought it up to zenith. Needless to say, I too self launch and land unless there is someone I know and trust who can launch me.