View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Arrow RACE DAY VIDEO & STILLS - Gold Coast UW Grand Prix

Had to make it to the boat early for the race and there was an impressive sunrise. Just before
dawn there was an overcast sky that really lit up with some brilliant colors as the sun eased over the horizon.
Click photo for full sized image.

Heading out for something different, underwater dive scooter races.

So, it's not underwater but it's close!

Sun is up and it is going to be an interesting day.

*** I prepared a video of images captured with two GoPro HD cameras during the race.
One camera was in the chest mount harness while I held the other camera in my hand.
Some of Joe Marino's excellent still shots are incorporated into the video as well.

Race video shot with GoPro HD cameras ***

Loading up the boats at Jeff Torode's operation, South Florida Diving Headquarters.

Dean Vitale and Marissa of Pegasus Thrusters line up the race hardware. These Pegasus Thrusters are modular, meaning you can
mount and control one, two or even three on your dive tank. Marissa used two while Dean wore three thrusters for the race.

For those who may not know it, there was another world famous Pegasus diver propulsion device. It was conceived by underwater inventor,
photographer and author, Dimitri Rebikoff in the 1950's. It was fairly unique in those days. It used aircraft controls, a joy stick activating forward
aerilons and aft diving plane with a foot controlled rudder bar. It even carried a pressure rated instrument pod containing artificial horizon,
altimeter (depth gage), compass and more. We used a close cousin, the Remora in the early 1970's for reef surveys. You could mount
large photogrammetric cameras, cine and still cameras on the dpv. It was big but was very powerful too.

Lots of riding gear on board including these Dive X scooters modified for sit on top free diving. These were brought along by Kirk Krack,
Erin McGee and troops from Performance Freediving. They did a relay race of sorts ala breathhold around deck level
the Tracy while the SCUBA divers were finning along the bottom on the same course.

How about this tandem rig complete with diver air supply onboard? They guys came all the way down from Pennsylvania to compete.

Dave Ulloa brought some impressive UW camera gear to capture the race.

Heading out, Joe Weatherby and Dave Sirak of FormulaH2O and the Wreck Racing League tell us how the race is going to go down.
Jeff Torode met up with us offshore on another boat to complete the prerace briefing. Jeff was carrying a camera crew from
Discovery Channel Canada to capture the action.

The race layout around the wreck of MV Tracy sitting in 70 ft. of water off Pompano Beach. The current changed the day of the race,
so we started aiming northward behind the aft starboard quarter. The Tracy was sunk intentionally as an artificial reef. It is
131 ft. long with a 35 ft. beam. Adding in the departure points abeam of the vessel that makes each race lap about 420 ft..
For the three required laps of the Recreational class racers that makes 1260 ft. and for the other racing classes five laps or about
2100 ft.. We had to use 80 cft. tanks minimum and surface with at least 500 psi. The reality of air consumption in a race made
this difficult for some with a standard tank at 70 ft..

Dustin shows the Bladefish he was to race with. It was provided by Steve and Brian of the Gold Coast Dive Shop of Lauderdale By-The-Sea.
These guys also told me about this race in the first place through their active Diving Meetup Group. If you're into diving,
at a new level or after decades and looking for some interesting dives, you should look into this group. Many thanks!

An impressive and heavy tandem scooter setup operated by Mark Hughes. S

Here I am, #4 easing down to the starting line. I am riding a production Apollo AV-2 dive scooter. Photo by Joe Marino.

We're off!!!

There is Lisa Mongy of http://www.underwaterunlimited.net/ and Greg Marvin.

I think that might be Erin McGee completing a free diving lap in their relay race.

Here is an interesting shot of myself, Dean and Marissa fighting it out for the lead on lap 2 of 5 as we approach the startling line.

Dave Ulloa was smoking fast on a Silent Submersion Scooter. David runs http://www.valeofilms.com/ and
packs some impressive camera gear as wells as a zippy dive scooter. Dave won the race handily at a time of 7:34 minutes. I believe
I came in next at 7:54 minutes, he was fast!

We headed over to the Wreck of the Copanhagen off the Sea Watch Restaurant for a cool down dive and photo op. A few shots follow from dives on the Copanhagen.

A shot of the superlative shooter himself, Joe Marino. Not only did he nail some excellent images in this competition. He has done
the same on some FII free diving competitions offshore as well. Great work Joe!

Dave and crew teched out with scooter and some high end imaging gear.

This fellow slipped in from a SCI FI set, right? Looking good!

Here is a shot of myself scooter free diving with a normal complement of (too many) cameras.

Dean the winner of the first race on the Vandenberg showing off his Winner's Belt and Beer Cozy.

Dean and David facing off with their respective scooters.

It was a fun event! Looking forward to the next one off Key Largo, coordinated by my good friend Spencer Slate of Atlantis Dive Center. The next race is in memory of Slate's close friend, and world famous photographer & explorer Wes Skiles and is titled:

"Wes Skiles Memorial Shootout of Key Largo"

Hope to see you there!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 09-17-2010 at 03:37 PM.