View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The area I was and usually ride in has few to no bystanders as a rule in the downwind area from the kite in my landings. You are right to consider bystanders and access in these considerations. Where bystanders, roadways, etc. are at risk downwind, avoiding solo landing entirely and using competent assisted landings might be the way to go. Sufficient hold fasts can work in steady enough winds, understanding some kites work better with this than others for solo landing. Some kites will bounce excessively, develop too much pull and can even roll downwind and really load up possibly moving the hold fast or simply breaking something to release the kite.

My experience yesterday suggests that relying upon conventional flat kite depowering by diverting most/all of the line tension to the leading edge WON'T always work. If the lines are wound excessively by spinning or a tangle, this depowering may be disabled. I would prefer to attach my leash to an O'shit attachment at the bar ends or to a reride ring above the trim strap assembly if present routinely.

As it is, with most kites I have owned and after that nasty accident I heard about years back, I like to detach the kite leash before solo landing. After yesterday's entertainment, avoiding solo landings in general seems to be indicated, despite having done tons over in excess of a decade.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi