View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoNP View Post
Glad your ok, hope you recover quickly!

Does your system have a bar stopper? If so, then perhaps that prevented it from fully depowering?

I agree that assisted landing is the best option, but you can never rely on it. Eventually you will have to land a kite by yourself.

I have been moving my leash to single line when wind is on the high side, but in less winds I have been keeping it on the fully depower spot, which I may need to rethink...
Thanks! Just got a report on the soft tissue stuff, sprained neck, back and both ankles. Still, seems to be healing pretty quickly so fingers crossed on that. If I didn't have a helmet and impact vest on likely would have been worse.

No stopper on this rig. I've had them in the past and have tried to always shove them way up before coming nearshore and long before landing also before jumps. To do otherwise is asking for trouble in my view. I think a tangle, perhaps even a wing tip, disabled the flat kite depowering in my case.

It is unfortunate, that this stuff has become as complicated as it has. We have had a major decrease in impact trauma particularly the fatal variety due to flat kites by my studies. At the same time, things like solo landing, where to attach leashes have become more complex. Competent assisted landings have a lot to recommend them. At the same time,ALL KITERS MUST KNOW HOW TO SOLO LAND IN AN EMERGENCY. Given the characteristics of flat kites, knowing and being practiced in a few approaches makes sense.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi