View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 PM

Welcome to the kiteboarding community, ready4air. (I read your post closely enough to realize that you are not Matt, the kiter who helped you on the beach.)

I agree with all the comments that the experts have posted in response to your original post (although the last comment doesn't add anything particularly useful to the discussion.... sorry, Steve-o, calling it like I see it!). Lessons are absolutely essential in learning kiteboarding. It's an extreme sport and, while it will become the most fun you'll ever have in any wind or water related sport, you can do serious damage to yourself and others if you don't throughly understand your equipment and the principles of the sport. Trial and error in this sport can kill you.

That said, I find that new kiteboarders aren't always swayed by that argument, although, as Steve-o points out, you'll come to appreciate and believe that position as you become more experienced. For beginners, I find that Roberto's final point seems to be the most persuasive....i.e., you absolutely will learn much faster with lessons than without. I see it all the time with kiters trying to save a few dollars on lessons because the equipment seems so darn expensive. A good instructor can save you many hours of frustration and have you out on the water riding safely and happily much sooner and more successfully than if you try to go it alone. I've never seen an exception to that rule.

So find a qualified instructor and get into the sport the right way. It'll cost a bit more up front, but you will never regret the investment.

Jim McIntosh
PASA Level III Instructor
Rodanthe, NC