View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 AM

Good question. Actually, I'd rather compare the Alex board to the NJS board that Sean Farley used to wind the worlds last year. The North board was really never competitive on the course, but is still a fine light wind board. This is probably proved by the fact that North's top racer used the NJS board at the worlds.

Just 2 weeks ago i had the chance to race with Farley, Damo, Richman, etc. in La Ventana. It was a great test and total eye opener. Farley came with the same board from last years' worlds. This would clearly be the benchmark as he was unstoppable at the event last year. Damo, Shawn, Adam, and myself had a variety of Alex boards.

I must say that I haven't kited much and was really just racing to see if i should take it up again. I was surprised to see my performance up wind against a guy like Farley, who is a total professional. I'd guess that my speed was similar, but that my angle was crushing (nearly 2 to 3 degrees better). He of course still beat me as i fell on many tacks and my performance down wind was nearly embarrassing. But, Farley was clearly better than Damo last year and this year I'd say that they weren't really racing on the same course. Damo's speed was amazing and his angle probably a degree better than mine. I think that clearly Damo and I had the best angle up wind at this event and that I'd guess that the Alex board was no less than 3 degrees better upwind from the NJS and probably close off the wind. Farley is known to always be fast down wind so it's tough to tell. Shawn Richman was also on the Alex board and fly's down wind better than anyone minus his little brother, so i know that this board works off the breeze too. Adam Koch hit 36 knots in a puff on a very wide Alex board with huge fins!

So, i totally love riding course boards even for fun. i enjoy the jibes, tacking, and being able to ride nearly anytime i go to the beach. we have a large group of Formula windsurfers here in Miami, may of which are top level. I'm betting that in winds below 12 knots that I should be winning around the marks this weekend.

In short, i think that you would like a course board. they are hard to get the hang of to start, but with the right fins (less lift), they can be easy to control. An older North twin fin, last year's NJS, or even the new Alex board are all great. I bought the board from Alex because my main interest is racing and i think he has the stuff right now. we will find out in less than 4 weeks at the first cup race in Mexico. I sure hope more people get into this as i can see the days of the tudor mistral race tour coming back to FL.