View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 05:27 AM
Skyway Scott

Patrick,

Sounds like you are using a quad line traction kite with handles. I used those for use with a buggy. (Flexi.... yeah baby!!)

If you have mastered that kite, then you have a real good understanding of how a kite works.
You do have it right, in terms of the setup on a kite-board kite, with a bar. (it is backwards from your traction kite in terms of leading/trailing... steering/power control)

The biggest difference is that we use a bar and a loop attached to the center lines. The center line with loop runs through the middle of the bar and allows us to sheet in and sheet out (power up and spill power) when that center loop is "anchored" to our harness.
This is different than changing the angle of attack "manually" with each handle by leveraging the handle to increase back line tension for breaking. So, when "hooked in" to this center line loop, when we push the bar away from us, toward the kite, we increase lift and when we pull it towards us (in your mind now with your kite) we "break". The thing is, the kite is so much more powerful that the analogy doesn't stick. It's like trying to "break" a tarpon by tightening drag when you sheet in on a big kite. (It aint happnin')

So, on our kites, when you push the bar away toward the kite, it steals/kills power by spilling wind (increasing lift) and when you pull the bar toward you, it increases power in the kite (up to a point). We can't do this to just one side of the kite independently to increase turning speed like you can with handles on your quad, it's both sides at once for us when we sheet in and out.

You may possibly understand (more than others without quad line experience) that there is a limit to how much you can power up a kite changing the angle of attack, before the "breaks" literally get put on and the kite stalls. Not many of our kites can stall like this, but some can.
So, if you really understand your kite now, it will help you in the long run with our kites.
Especially the idea of efficiency and not "over powering" it to the point of having breaks on.

I think RealKiteboarding has a pretty good instructional video out. I know it was good, I just can't remember the detail they went into with rigging.
Someone may remember the other internet vid that showed how to rig a kite (it met with some controversy).
Let's see what the other guys think about it.

Teaching yourself can be done, if in a no-choice, isolated situation. Sounds like this is your situation.
Getting good information to work with is obviously critical and you know this.

The main difference you will experience is the tremendous power of a LEI, in 15 plus knots. That 2.4 is a great learning kite, but the power difference is nigh and day.
It's fairly overwhelming the first time you experience it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 03-15-2007 at 06:05 AM.