View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 01:56 PM

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
Patrick,

Sounds like you are using a quad line traction kite with handles. I used those for use with a buggy.
Yup, that's it.

Quote:
(Flexi.... yeah baby!!)
Yeah, it's pretty fun to fly. At first I was just looking at buying a small kite merely as a means to an end and wasn't really excited about it. Now that I've pretty well mastered it I'm having a lot of fun.

Quote:
Teaching yourself can be done, if in a no-choice, isolated situation. Sounds like this is your situation.
Getting good information to work with is obviously critical and you know this.

The main difference you will experience is the tremendous power of a LEI, in 15 plus knots. That 2.4 is a great learning kite, but the power difference is nigh and day.
It's fairly overwhelming the first time you experience it.

Good luck.
Well, I figure I have a pretty good foundation. I was a skater (board) until I was in my late 20's (had to quit after falling started to really hurt (sucks gettin' old)). I've been surfing for 23 years (including four on the North Shore) and I’ve done some wakeboarding and skiing. I'm a pilot and a certified aircraft mechanic (so I figured that I have the aerodynamic understanding pretty well covered as well).
But....I'm trying to approach this from a very humble perspective. I’m planning on buying a 5-7m LEI next. My thinking is that; I can use it to train with and ,down the road, I’ll have something for the real heavy days.

Thanks again for the info and the detailed response. It really helps!

Patrick