View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 04:58 AM
Skyway Scott

I know your area and Bush and buds are making a killing, it’s not rocket science.

I meant import tax, cool….

I would stick with those 10 to 15 knot days for at least 6 months, if not forever, if you guys basically have nothing in between that and BIG wind.
The step up to big wind is very dangerous, alone.
Get a buddy out there hooked, that’s the best bet of all to being safe out there. Ride together.

The launching becomes more hairy and everything else does too in 25 plus knots. The riding can be safe with practice, but it’s the getting the kite up and down that is real sketchy. The power of the wind at 25 is pretty unreal, mistakes are punished much more quickly and with much more authority. Basically, it’s exponentially more dangerous and things go wrong ten times more quickly in 25 compared to 15. 30 is really serious wind.

For the 10 to 15, which is great learning stuff and just plain fun, anyway, I would get a new 17m Waroo or a used 16m waroo and I would get a large board. Something like the crazy fly 145 by 44. Don’t get anything smaller than the 152 UG. Trust me on that one. Width is more important than length (plane-able surface). I think you should stick with the light winds and have a friggin’ blast in the safer stuff until you hook a buddy up.

http://oceanextremesports.com/catalo...roducts_id=378

or Underground 152
http://www.watersportswest.com/shopc...ng&user3=board

At 185, in 10 to 15, you need a bigger kite. You could make a 15m Waroo work, but as long as you have the discipline to not go out when it's a sand storm, I would get the 17m.

Those boards I mentioned won't do so hot in the bigger winds either. You are going to be limited to 20 knots and under, and I really think you should promise yourself to stay in less than 20.
The gear I mentioned will be a blast in 15 knots, not schlogging barely having fun, but a blast. The gear I mentioned will start to become unmanageable at 20 knots. That's good, imo. Built in safety mechanism forcing you off of the water.

Extreme kites will more than likely ship to you. They have shipped to Qatar, Kuwait, you name it. I remember shipping to some places I had never heard of before.
Watersports West might as well, I am not sure. Call and ask both places.

Ebay is reasonable. Ikitesurf.com has more selection.

The kite shipping fee won’t be that bad, but the board fee will be bad (possibly not even “legal” by USPS size standards).
But, maybe a pilot buddy can fly it in for you?

To your smallest kite question and using it down the road. I am against going out in the heavy stuff alone and want to make that clear. But, a 7m Waroo is the answer.
It would be a good kite to get the feel of LEI kites with, before just hopping on a big 17m kite.

In 12 knots, with reasonable kite control (I think you have it), you aren't gonna get whacked too bad, even on the 17. Don't get me wrong, treat it with respect, you can get hurt! But in 20.... dude... it'd be close to suicide to put that 17 up on your virgin flight.

Oh, quick release on your kite and kite leash. Dream about them at night. They are your friends.

If you decide to do business with Extreme kites, tell them Scott sent you.
I don't get anything from it, just a warm feeling knowing Rob and Daryl's faces would turn sour.
(they have had some bad situations come out of Qatar and places where you think ---- "sand")

To cover my own butt here. I have a made a judgement call on giving you advice. It is based on you seeking info and you appear to have a good attitude, approach etc. Not giving info would be dumb.
You don't have access to lessons. AND, you can't get other kiters banned, so ..... this could be fun hearing of your exploits.
Buy some good instructional vids, a wind meter, and shoot for days where it is blowing 13 to 15 knots and get ready to have a blast, Patrick.

If you were here, I would be leaning on lessons and cold shouldering you if you didn't.
But, you aren't.

Black balling etc. Nah... we help each other out, by recommending lessons and keeping it safe.

You are about to experience the most excitement possible in sports. I am jealous.
It's the learning that was the EXTREME fun in this sport. I still love to kite and do all the time. Nothing is better. But, the first 2 years are by far, the best. Let us know what happens. I know I am interested. You will get a lot of advice on here, hopefully from others too, in the future.

Bleighty and Invisible and Toby and all others on here are great.
The instructors can't just hop on and give info for liability reasons. I can. Patrick, I really want to hear these stories. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 03-16-2007 at 06:17 AM.