View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes, that was a bad one with the loss of the 69 year old man in 2000. There was another in the same area in 2009 involving a girl. The news links are at the bottom of the above article and here as well.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/083100/T...hought_t.shtml
http://bit.ly/1hvHlcD

The conventional wisdom is shark attacks go up during peak feeding times around sunset and sunrise. I have noticed increased activity while kiting around sunset before. Looking at accident statistics they seem highest closest to noon, then again that may simply be when the most people are in the water.

That was a nasty encounter with the black tip, those things are super common too at certain times of the year. Glad it didn't take a larger bite out of you! I paddled about 8 miles into the back country by Marvin Key in the lower Keys in June. Got tired of being rained on and so took a nap on my board in the shallows by some low mangrove growth. When I woke up I discovered I was likely in a black tip nursery with a bunch of the little guys swimming around me. Fortunately, they didn't try to nip me awake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
In 2006 there was a fatal attack supposedly by a bull shark in Boca Ciega bay (near St. Petersburg). Around Sunset a man went for a swim off his dock and was attacked. It was speculated that he may have been in a school of baitfish when the attack occurred.

It seems that most attacks occur at dusk or dawn in low light conditions. However, I was bitten by a black tip around mid afternoon (very minor bite) while wade fishing in knee deep water. I felt something tugging on my knee. I looked down at my knee and had a bite that was about 2 inches long, barely breaking the skin but drew blood. I looked around and there was a 3' blacktop circling me. To make a long story short, after three days of pain and agony, the shark died

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi