View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 11:27 AM

Default problems in pompano

As a Pompano resident and beach regular I am well aware of all the issues surrounding the use of Pompano Beach for kitesurfing and all the social and political issues that relate to who uses the beach and how. I have attended the safety and access meetings at the city offices, both out of interest as a local kitesurfer but also to represent Best Kiteboarding to ensure that we do all we can to actively support safe riding within the sport.

Myself and Best Kiteboarding are naturally concerned that any rider who used to be linked to the brand via one of the pre-existing school operations in Pompano has come in for criticism regarding the way he rides and his attitude to safety. We certainly do not condone this behavior and for that reason have retracted the pre-existing gear-deal between ourselves and the rider in question.

That said, the brand of kites that a rider uses has no effect on the way they choose to ride, and severing links with a rider in this way just removes any leverage that we could exert upon the rider, unfortunately sometimes there is no other option.

However, I know that the person in question is not the only one disobeying the rules. We've been self-policing the beaches, and know that there are other riders who are also in need of the same treatment. I also believe if someone has such strong feelings and concerns and chooses to threaten the company that I work for, they should be man enough to give a name and phone number so that we can discuss the issues and they do not hide behind a post.