View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM

Default Kiteboarding Isla Holbox

Yeah, you are sort of right (I think) about the banning a few years back. Starting in May, part of the island is protected for mating flamingos. The story (as was told to me): some guys set up a kite school and disrespected the locals and wildlife. I cannot say for sure, but we heard things such as chasing the flamingos away from their grounds to give lessons.

Our approach is TOTALLY different. We are partnered with "Mohicano", a Holbox local, who has been teaching kiteboarding on the island for many years and has played a major role in the sport in the region. Yucatan Kiteboarding is 100% committed to protecting this beautiful kiteboarding paradise. We absolutely do not kite anywhere near wildlife that can disturbed. So to answer your whaleshark question, no. The flamingos and the whale sharks make the Isla Holbox a very special place. Lucky enough for all of us, there is nearly 20 miles of kiteable shoreline for us all to enjoy together.

For 2011 we started a wind history section on our blog since there doesn't really seem to be any accurate reporting out there: http://www.ykkiteboarding.com/YK-Blo...istory-reports

Last edited by Sadja; 01-13-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Updated Info