Thread: August winds
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48
how was it with the contra 14...i know its described as a light wind kite....i dont see many other manufactures saying they have a "light wind kite"....im new to kite boarding, have only taken one lesson and from looking around on the web i like the Contra...im based in Miami so i want a kite i can use as much as possible....how much wind do you need to make it worth going out....

how much do you weigh...im at 150...6ft...

Also this winter will be going to Cartagena colombia...from what i have heard the wind is 20knots...will a 14 conta be to big?

thanks
I would get quite a few lessons in before worrying about what kiteS to buy. That is kites plural, you will want at least two if they are bow kites and likely three and perhaps even four if they are C kites ONCE you have moved further along the learning curve. I would not plan on using the same kite for 20 kts. plus in Colombia and for light wind in Florida, particularly while you are learning. With technique, exertion, changing board sizes, etc., basically experience you can milk more range out of a given kite. Still it is usually best, (easier and safer) to use the kite size best suited for actual winds.

Other manufacturers have light wind designated C kites but the Contra may be the first designated bow kite. I weigh quite a bit more than you at 190 lbs. That usually equates to about a kite size, perhaps more particularly while you are learning.

Supposedly, the Contra doesn't like winds much above 18 kts all that much compared to the Switchblades. You can go higher than 18 kts. with it in the fashon of bow kites, your jumping efficiency may drop off is all. It is intended to excel in lightwinds. I have heard some contrary opinions on this by the way. One guy said he nailed his highest jump to date on a Contra 12 m. For jumping, still down the road for you at this point, the Switchblades go off in 20 kts. delivering impressive jump performance, a 12 m in my case. Perhaps a Contra 12 m and Switchblade 9 m? I would try to demo various kites you are interested in before buying. Repeating, I would get more quality instruction before focusing on what you need to buy. It is premature in my opinion as is perhaps my focusing on jumping characteristics.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi