View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Skyway Scott

Interesting take, Stomatzio. I am curious, have you read the Moral Animal by Robert Wright? If so, we should go grab a drink. If not, you should (read it)

I personally think the main problem isn't infringement of rights of one group v. another within our small "tribe" but a realization by many of us that the entire "tribe" may well lose it's privilege to kite the SW when we kill a member of the larger society (kite in highway related traffic death). Many have posted how "dangerous" the SW is.
I honestly view the SW as pretty harmless to me. But, it's a very dangerous spot for a kite to get out of control or to get away. It goes straight toward the road. That's my primary concern. I've been dealing with newbies and showboats for years.(I use those terms just as a mean to break it down, not trying to be derogatory).
It's easy.. ride upwind of them. My concern is even greater than tensions between newbies and showboats . It's us losing the spot forever.

Anyway, interestingly enough, I draw the exact same conclusions that you have drawn and I did think about our group dynamic to reach them in terms of the tag. I just want to stress that we are a small group within a much larger one.

Even with my conclusion, I have zero problem wearing a tag, but I think that's a lot of effort for minimal outcome.
The sign is a good idea. It can't hurt as a tool for peer pressure, but in the end, it still comes down to riders wanting to do the right thing for our "tribe" and the whole community (many driving home with kids in the mini-van).
In my mind, with this larger frame of reference, I think new riders (green as in not self sufficient) should avoid the SW because they want to avoid it for the good of all. Not because they get under my skin, but b/c they present one of the highest risks of going downwind toward the Interstate. If they can't maneuver well, around a lot of people, they are probably going to get in trouble. It didn't use to be as crowded and you could find small area to practice. Those days seem to be gone for the SW.

I think veterans should try to be more careful too, because they could tangle up and also have kites headed for the road. They should do it because they want to though, after taking the larger picture into consideration. That's just my take.
Thanks for your insights Stormatzio.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 09-11-2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Danny got confused. :)