View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
The trouble is kiteboarding is not a right, far from it, it is a privilege.
This is the sentiment that I think we should change. Kiteboarding, access to the wind and ocean, is an undeniable right for every human being. No one should be allowed to deny anyone access to the world's oceans or the air we breathe. I would accept that if a person endangers others, that person can be jailed, banned, fined, etc... but another person that does not can not be denied access. The government is charged by its people to manage natural resources. Banning a resource from use it not managing it!!! The approach is that we should be self policing to avoid government regulations or restrictions and if self policing fails then we have to succumb to some government involvement (rules, fines, etc...), but never ever an outright ban.

Once a ban is imposed I think more drastic measure should occur, including maybe a "kiting protest" where many people show up and kite responsible. Or, if you wanted less conflict, maybe you don't kite but get a bunch of kiters to show up and clean up the beach, and keep doing that publicly involving the media until you get access back. If that fails to restore access, then it seems like the industry or a group should file a lawsuit. These days lawsuits seem to have large effects on cities...

It seems like we are a bunch of kids asking to play on someone's elses playground when we should be acting like adults demanding our tax dollars are spent serving us.