View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It's not standup, it's skiing waves with snow skis?! You've probably seen Chuck Patterson ski big waves in Maui with poles. I think he uses snow skis too.

Chuck poles into a nice one

Mike Douglas and Cody Townsend pose with their riding gear fresh from the mountains to Maui.

Checkout the video, these guys go FAST and real parallel to the wave crest. The tow in with a waverunner of course but once they get going, they go!

“A year in the making, Mike Douglas and Cody Townsend fulfill a dream of towing into big waves on skis in Hawaii. After 4 weeks, 5 broken skis, and 1 big scare, they proved that it is, in fact, possible. Is it cool, or is there a future for skiing on waves? Decide for yourself.”

"Mike Douglas and Cody Townsend: The Pro Skiers
Mike Douglas produces a TV series called “Salomon Freeski TV” that covers every part of the freeskiing world, including wave skiing. Douglas and fellow skier Cody Townsend set off on a journey to Hawaii after asking themselves the same question many pro-skiers who surf have: I wonder if you can ski on a wave? Townsend said the idea came to him while he was checking the waves in Santa Cruz, California. “It suddenly occurred to me that a wave had a similar steepness to a lot of the runs up at Squaw. From that moment on I knew that it would one day be possible to ski on a wave,” he said. The duo tried out a few different ski-binding setups before the trip, including water skis and trick skis, and eventually decided for safety reasons that downhill bindings were the best choice because they were able to get their skis off in the water most easily through the familiar system. “We determined through testing on the lakes that the only boot and binding system that we could get off every time was alpine boots and bindings,” Douglas said. In Hawaii they hit waves by getting towed in on jet skis, and also used the wind to give kite-skiing a try."
http://www.skinet.com/skiing/photo-g...ecomes-reality

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi