View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 06:28 PM

This thread has some important info left out IMO.

At no time should kites be flying over the beach during the race. Race officials will be scattered throughout the course to monitor this all important rule. With the onshore winds that are expected, this rule can easily be the demise of the challenge. Riders that break this rule will be disqualified.

There are buoys all along the coast, but the fastest lines are going to be inside these buoys. It is fair game to ride inside of them, but one must keep an eye out for the occasional swimmer or surfer that may be in the water. Please keep in mind that the buoys south of John's Pass are designated swim areas and riders must begin to stay outside of those buoys until the finish line.

The buoys north of John's pass are no wake zones for boater's. The maritime rules for the "no wake" buoys are gray at best.

The buoys south of John's pass are swim zones which the rules recognize.

Furthermore, the beaches were packed today but I saw no one in the water swimming except for a few surfers here and there and I was out there all day. The water was cold and beachgoers stayed out.

The best of the best were in attendance today, and no one had any concerns with the rules. It wasn't even a thought. In fact is was reminded to all riders to keep a good safe distance from shore.

Finally, let's not forget that this event is a charity fundraiser for All Children's hospital.

I will be interested to see what other opinions are out there. I am sure this will be a heated topic of discussion. I just hope we can leave out the name calling and personal attacks.