View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 10:35 AM

Yes, it is certainly a dilemma.

Along with running my own business in the past I used to teach sailing and performance boat handling. The main reason was to put better sailors out on the water and on the race course. After a couple years of kitesurfing I decided to teach this as well...again for the same reasons I teach sailing - I was more interested in people getting good instruction and making the sport safe and fun for everyone, protect access privileges, etc.

I think that there is currently a fair amount of growth, however I think it will peak, and level off like windsurfing did. But I still feel that the better people are trained the better it will be for others.

As for the income from teaching, "lining our pockets" is a stretch: it's not that lucrative unless you operate like REAL and hire 15 coaches, pay the instructors next to nothing, and charge a lot of money with strict refund restrictions. But even then we are not talking high-finance. For example - out of the last 5 days here in Hatteras there was perhaps one day when REAL could mobilize and get some good teaching in. Believe me - I am certainly not doing this for the money. When you consider the gear, travel costs, housing costs, the good riding sacrificed, and the time and effort it takes to do 100+ lessons/winter...I'd be much better off financially going back into my previous business I assure you.

Do I want more riders on the water? Not necessarily, but I will never tell someone that they don't have he "right" to share the beach. I usually try to avoid crowds, whether teaching or riding, and I know that there are still plenty of places to go when other places are crowded. I hope this issue does not become similar to the surfer style territorialism, which I think will be unhealthy for the sport.

Ironically 5 or 6 kites can make certain places feel crowded sometimes. It is the conduct of the kiters, whether 5 or 30 of them, that really determines the "feel" of the place. I personally feel that there is plenty of room, even on a big day at East Beach, if people would only respect a few basic rules and principles. When I teach I try to instill this into my students, even encouraging them to avoid the crowded places and seek out other spots to ride, at least until they have enough skill to manage the crowds, know how to avoid issues, and how to react when an issue arise.

As the kite population grows we might have to become more creative...boat rides and boat launching? More down wind rides? Rider limits at each spot? - but would that be self-imposed or regulated by others? (not many people - including myself - want others regulating us)

It's probably not reasonable to make this sport exclusionary, but some management might be necessary.And you're right...on really good thing is that the gear gets better, and more safe, when manufacturers can justify the R&D costs. I hope the sport stays healthy and that people will continue to get good instruction and practice safe kiting so we can avoid inevitable(?) regulation and restrictions. We will all need to adapt to growth. I'm sure it has been done successfully in other spots around the world, so why not in Tampa Bay? It will just take a little more effort and a little more patience.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas