View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 05:24 AM

I started learning with a C kite. However, I switched to ARCs (Guerilla I and II's) while learning to kite after having one too many leading edge bladder punctures and bladder leaks due to excessive heat. The gust absorption was a pleasant surprise discovered afterwards! My personal opinion is that nothing eats a gust like a Peter Lynn ARC kite. I still have one C kite but haven't pumped it in ages. I just can't be bothered with it. But we have the occasional ARC vs C vs Bow discussions here

I now ride a Venom 13 and 19 quiver. These two kites allow me to handle 95%of the wind speeds encountered in Kuwait. I'm about 90k so I don't have much trouble holding down the 13 in 25-30 mph winds. Around 30 mph wind speed It starts to get dicey as teh gusts can hit upwards and over 40 mph. I've often thought of buying a 8m or 10m for days when the 13 is just too much, but can't justify the added expense as I'd use the kite maybe five or six times a year. However, I am thinking of buying a Flysurfer Speed 17 or Speed 2 19 to use as a light wind kite. If I bite the money bullet, I'd probably be able to get about 20-25 extra sessions a year in as my Venom 19 is not really a proper light wind kite. One rider here has a slingshot machine 25.5 and he is able to get a session in when I'm sitting on the beach.

As far as I know, I'm the only rider in Kuwait that rides ARC Kites. Every one else I know rides a C or a bow as that is what they learned on, don't really understand ARCs', and ARC's aren't sold in Kuwait. I laugh every summer while people are repairing bladder nipples and heat induced bladder leaks. It's amusing to watch the look on someones face that has just asked me "what the hell kind of kite is that?" spend ten minutes pumping a kite in 120 degree heat heat only to find that the glue on the bladder has melted away. The Venom also suits my riding style and is quite an improvement on the Guerilla's but I'd prefer the ARCs for kiting in Kuwait just on durability issues alone.