Thread: self rescue
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Skyway Scott

I am sure everyone does it different.
I think you misinterpreted my meaning of drift.
When I say drift, I mean get pulled in by the wind's tension on the kite, which is LE down, not the current. The (onshore) wind keeps the lines tight and the kite 75 feet away. This has happened to me at least ten times, usually after a line break. In my example, the kite still keeps it's shape LE down, but you can't steer it anymore or fly it. It is "behaving" and not going apeshit.

I don't think you could drift in with slack lines or little wind. You would just sit there. You would have to swim. I definitely would never swim toward a kite without first wrapping up the lines.

I am sure everyone does it their own way. Raul did an awesome self rescue 2 or 3 seasons ago from way out in the SW channel to get himself back. He came right back to the launch area. It was very impressive.

I actually do have a technique I use when the kite is not just dragging me in or if it gets caught up on something. I have only had to use it 3 times.
It's similar to the one this guy is showing on land (he saved himself from drowning in the beach sand quite well).

I don't know if it's right or wrong, but it's basically what I do if the kite won't just pull me in.

http://www.ikiteboarding.com/kiteboa...the-water.aspx