View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Wow, I was asking for discussion of things that will cause you to lose your kite, I didn't realize conditions were offshore there. Dead offshore winds particularly with buildings, dunes, trees, etc. shoreside have a HIGH probability of resulting in a lost kite, board too and sometimes even a kiter to go with. These are BAD conditions to launch into. Don't be deceived by the nice calm water, apparent good wind conditions because it is a false impression.

The wind is too gusty to support good kiting conditions. The wind drops to near nothing your kite stalls hits the water and pulls you offshore. Then it boosts and you get yarded before the next drop. You may get it up while continuing to drift offshore, you may relaunch, do a few tacks trying to work to shoreward until it lulls and stalls again. Repeat, repeat and repeat again with you going further offshore. I stupidly proved this to myself in offshore winds about ten years ago resulting in a 2 mile+ swim inland towing my gear behind me. Don't screw with offshore wind conditions in short.

There are still other conditions that can cause you to lose kite, board or both particularly on the west coast and other areas with frequent cuts and bays. What are some of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russky View Post
If I read the report right he launched off Clearwater and as I recall it is blowing from East for three days.

Straight offshore wind for that spot (+ crazy gusts 'cause of the buildings)... this guy is a bright exapmple of Darwin's theory of natural selection.

.. or maybe it was an attempt of a downwinder to Mexico?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 06-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.