View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I heard one version of what may have happened in this sad accident. The victim came too close to the chumball (the suspended frozen lump of fish). The water can be turbid in this area and feeding sharks are not real careful in this zone. Divers are usually advised to stay well away from the chumball as a result. Anyway, a bull shark blasted by the chumball and hit the nearby victim biting into his thigh. Sharks are not fond of human as a rule, apparently spit out the leg soon after. Tragically the man's femoral artery had been severed causing rapid blood loss. Hundreds of dives have been made around the world under similar circumstances, however in most of those cases that divers kept their distance from the chumball. Feeding sharks does condition them to approach boats and people in the water in the area looking for food. I was on a similar dive last summer in the Bahamas. Four sharks were close to the boat even before we secured the anchor much less entered the water.

I heard another supporting account like this one. It was added that the victim, a photographer was too close to the chumball trying to get better closeup images of the action. Bad choice obviously enough as things worked out. Also, a couple other parties agreed that they are not aware of widespread shark cage use in the Bahamas as of yet despite some statements in circulation.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-19-2008 at 01:40 PM.