View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 PM

Default Crandon Race Day...

Well, it was almost great! Actually, tons of riders came out for the event in news of a pretty good forecast. 40 riders signed up for the race, but in the end the wind stayed a bit offshore to allow most riders to compete.

We did manage to get off 3 races, but unfortunately only 4 riders completed the races. This really does show the validity of having a directional board in your quiver given that 3 of these guys were on them.

Results for racing after 3 Races:
1st Damien Leroy
2nd Gebi
3rd Garry "special ops" Menk
4th Ken Russell (on a twin tip)

Even more of a bummer was that we had Andre Phillip in town to ride the new Cabrinha, ASM, NPX rail. This thing looks awesome. I'm sure photos will follow. We will keep this thing on hand for future events as I'm sure it will provide some interesting action.

We were able to get off a pretty cool SUP event that was very successful. My "mano o mano" format was killer and inspired some epic battles. In the end it came down to a classic battle of good vs evil (sorry Hamish, it sounded so good i had to use it). The final between Gebi "the raw food vegan" and Hamish the "Marlboro man" McDonald was nothing short of spectacular. After endless laps, nicotine seemed to ooze from Hamish and caused his triceps to seize. Everyone on the beach was pulling for Hamish to just make it a bit farther given that Gebi was probably running out of his carrot fuel. All of the cheering unfortunately couldn't stop the inevitable...

The SUP results:
1st Mike Gebhardt
2nd Hamish McDonnald

Girls:
1st Hot Amanda (someone please provide pics!)
2nd Catarina (sponsored by Brickel Chiropractic)

In all the event turn out was among the best I've seen, too bad the wind didn't work out.

A special thanks to:
Miami Kiteboarding for providing the location!
Dakine for the killer soft coolers that went to the winners
Cabrinha Kites for their support of the rail, racing, and grass roots events everywhere
NPX for the rail and support of the best riders wearing the coolest duds
Adventure Sports Miami putting Miami on the world kiteboarding map forever
and...
Garry "special ops" Menk for hammering hard on the rail and putting his heart into this project so that others can enjoy it for many seasons to come.

Thanks