View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just got a timely reminder from Kiter Dude out of Sarasota. The same considerations apply to other parts of Florida as well. Show a positive interest in visiting kiters with tips for things to pursue and avoid at the local launch, be considerate with bystanders, you know the normal things. Courtesy, common sense and distance will take you a long way to good sessions, a nice sight for tourists and fewer ban threats.

"Just a reminder that it is tourist season and although Laurel and Chris are doing a great job getting the message out to all the local kiters (and noobs) about our "regulations" we need to self-police our beaches especially now that tourist season is upon us.

No doubt we are going to have visiting kiters who didn't bother to call the local shops to get the lay of the land. And no doubt some of the visiting kiters (and maybe some of our own locals) are going to be kiting in swim zones, kiting or jumping to close to the beach or just plain being kooks. No one likes to have "the talk" but I encourage you to do so. If you feel uncomfortable approaching kiters take a couple kiters (or non-kiters) along with you. With only a couple exceptions, most visiting kiters I have spoken to have been friendly, understanding and kited/moved to the appropriate area.

Case in point, yesterday I came across Doug (OG) and his kids who are visiting. They were windsurfing and also had a 16m blue Crossbow blown up and ready to go by the water's edge on Siesta Public beach by the green life guard shack. I introduced myself and told him we self-regulate and if he is going to kite he needs to be well outside the buoyed off areas. He was cool about it and since there was no wind wasn't going anywhere anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I think this is important stuff worthy of a master list blast.

Happy New Years and good winds to everyone.

Kiter Dude"

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi