View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Back in October 2001 a strong easterly wind came through. A bunch of guys converged on Bathtub Reef Beach on Hutchenson Island to go kiteboarding. Whoops, sorry meant to say kitesurfing. The big move to change the name by the media had yet to really take hold. Today, you might have trouble finding enough sand to launch from. Coastal recession has taken quite a bit away from this spot.

That's Neil out there on a Naish ARX (?) in his pre-Slingshot days! I think that is Greg Kuklinski on his NEXT kite or pehaps Mike.

There's an oldie, a Seasmick kite. You can just see the top of Neil's head as he is hidden by a nice sized wave. Look at the wind streak the water, it was pretty well honking that day.

Terri heads out on a small AR5 kite.

The gangs all here, almost seven years ago. How many folks can you identify, going right to left?

Hey Neil, Greg, do you guys remember this session? I seem to recall there were some interesting twists so it might come to mind. Here's something to think about. Just how brave (knowingly or not) or lucky these early guys were. I had lofted into a house about 11 months before so I was riding in the ICW to the west not feeling up to hitting the Bathtub in those conditions. I think my smallest kite was about 10 m which I thought was too larger for the winds coming through at the beach.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 06-26-2008 at 10:37 AM.