View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 10:49 AM

Smile

Rick, Thanks for putting up my photos! Nicaragua is the new Costa Rica. This quote is from my Moon Handbooks Nicaragua guide: " The hiker, volcano climber,bird watcher, surfer, sailor, swimmer and naturalist, not to mention rum drinker, sunset watcher and fresh fish eater will find themselves quite content in Nicaragua's southwest corner".
Surfers know that San Juan del Sur is the jumping off point for surf trips, with an undulating coast line just north of Costa Rica offering numerous point breaks accessible by land and some only by boat. Just south of San Juan del Sur is Bahia de Salinas on the Costa Rica/Nica border. A destination for world class kitesurfing and windsurfing. The Caribbean trade winds get drawn inland by the super heated air over the jungles and gets a further boost from the numerous volcanic peaks in southern Nicaragua and northern Costa Rica kind of like the Maui effect. These steady offshore winds help to shape the waves for surfers too! Not far from San Juan del Sur is Granada the oldest city on the continent founded by the Spanish on the north edge of the massive Lake Cocibolca in the early 1500's to show off their growing power and prestige in the region. Nearby Granada you can ride a Soviet troop transport up to the rim of the extinct Mombacho Volacano for stunning views of colonial Granada with it's horse drawn carriages and internet cafes and Lake Cocibolco. There are direct flights to Managua the capitol from Miami and Atlanta. San Juan Del sur and Bahia de Salinas are about a 4-6 hour drive from the Managua airport.
Lots to do down there, I've gone three times and will be back soon.
JP

Last edited by 500EPILOT; 07-06-2008 at 05:07 PM.